Circa 1860, unusual set of 4 chairs attributed to the designer E W Godwin. At the top are two finials which are spheres with Gothic fretwork, above a walnut section inlaid with pitch pine. At each side are pitch pine pilasters and in the centre is a splat which has a raised deep buttoned leather pad with carved pitch pine flower heads in each corner. At the side profile is open fretwork in the ecclesiastical style on the seat and beneath it in the form of quarter brackets on all sides. The chairs have leather stuff over seats held in position by leather covered studs and leather gimping, over mahogany side rails. All standing on turned back legs finishing on a chamfered foot. The front legs have several turnings and finish on brass cups and white porcelain castors. Very stylish set of chairs which could be used as hall chairs or dining chairs.
Please note that this price may NOT include delivery charges which the seller may charge extra for.
Scotland's largest antiques warehouse is located in a converted whiskey bond in historic Leith Edinburgh. With 50,000sq ft over five floors we offer a wide range of quality Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian furniture, as well as continental and small decorative items. Our stock is constantly changing.
Georgian Antiques has 2634 antiques for sale.
click here to see them all