We are pleased to be offering an exceptional pair of early 19th century mounted and silver inlaid flintstock holster pistols made by the appointed gunmakers for King George III H.W. Mortimer and bearing Birmingham hall marks for 1803.
Richly ornamented in inlaid silver, with full walnut stock, these superbly finished pistols show the confident detailing found on contemporary regal presentation arms, including cornucopiae, star bursts, arrows piercing hearts, a martial escutcheon bearing an engraved family crest, three silver crescents inlaid into the tangs and double lines of silver rouletting to breeches. A large silver crescent has a pair of lances rising from the centre with attached banners and a turban, with three feathers and swords, forming a central trophy with sunburst and silver lines running the length of the barrel. The pistols have distinctive carved and silver inlaid butts adding a very elegant and distinctive flourish.
Harvey Walklate Mortimer (1753-1819) had established himself as a gunmaker in London by 1775 with premises at 89 Fleet Street, London. He became gunmaker to the King and received his Royal appointment to King George III in 1783. His son H.W. Mortimer had the same name Harvey Walklake. The younger Mortimer was apprenticed at the age of 15 to his father in 1791 and served in the Inns of the Court Regiment of Volunteers from 1803. He was gunmaker to King George III in 1805. Both Mortimers were renowned makers of decorated firearms.
A case of duelling pistols by this maker from the Keith Neal Collection is on display in the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers roof house in London.
Description: Signed HW. MORTIMER & Co, the flat engraved locks with signed safety slides within a silver ribbon, flat sided cocks with inlaid silver foliate decoration, the top jaws decorated with silver sunrays, gold-lined pans and touch holes, roller frizzen springs, three stage barrels with Birmingham proof marks, three silver crescents inlaid into the tangs, the breeches with double lines of silver rouletting; a silver oval engraved London surrounded by silver foliate decoration, a large silver crescent with a pair of lances rising from the centre with attached banners with a turban with three feathers and swords forming a central trophy with an inlaid silver sunburst and silver lines running the length of the barrel to the silver spider foresight; the silver spurred pommels decorated with sunburst decoration, the silver trigger guards bearing Birmingham hall marks for 1803 with makers mark I:B with four-sided acanthus leaves forming the central decoration of the guard and with a trophy of arms finial, the full walnut stock entirely inlaid with silver wire decoration including cornucopiae, star bursts, arrows piercing hearts, a martial escutcheon bearing an engraved family crest topped by a helmet, a silver ramrod (one with missing silver tip). 50.8cm long
Our country house holdings can be viewed by private appointment at St Martin's Hall, with stock over 4,500 sq ft of gallery space.
Please call Shaun Castle on 01697 742833