Beautiful Victorian silver brooch depicting the historic Clifton Suspension Bridge Bristol.
The Clifton Suspension Bridge spans the River Avon and the Avon Gorge, linking Clifton (Bristol) to Leigh Woods.
The bridge is 412 metres long and forms part of the B3129 road.
It is used by cars, pedestrians and cyclists.
The Clifton Suspension Bridge was opened in 1864, and was designed by William Henry Barlow and john Hawkshaw. It is based on a design by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Sarah Guppy.
The bridge has always been a toll bridge. The money collected goes towards the maintenance of the bridge, which is organised by the Clifton Suspension Bridge Trust.Clifton Suspension Bridge
Construction of the bridge began in 1831, but was stopped by the Bristol Riots a few days into the project. Building work resumed in 1836.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel died in 1859. He never got to see the completion of the bridge.
More than 4 million vehicles pass over the bridge every year.
Two men were killed during the construction of the bridge.
The bridge’s towers are 26 metres tall.
Brooch was made by well known silversmith Alfred Wigley Birmingham 1891. Clear hallmarks. In original box supplied by The Association of Jewellers and Silversmiths Ltd, Grand Hotel Buildings, Trafalgar Square, London.
- Alfred Wigley Birmingham
- Width (cm):
- Height (cm):
Please note that this price may NOT include delivery charges which the seller may charge extra for.