Church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo
During the thirteenth century, the Dominicans established their order in Venice, and in 1230, they received land on which to build their church. They soon needed a larger building, and by the early fourteenth century, they began construction of a new church. By 1368, the apse and apsidial chapels were completed, followed by the nave in 1430. This grand Gothic church soon became popular as a burial place for doges, and it now contains 25 ducal tombs. Important burial monuments continued to be erected in the church until the fall of the Republic.
- Oil on Canvas
- Width (cm):
- 35.56cm x 50.80cm (14.00ins x 20.00ins)