A simply elegant silver mounted and cut lead-crystal claret jug by William Hutton, Birmingham 1907. Attractively shaped silver mount. Hinged lid with shaped thumbpiece. Flared, faceted body with simple cut design encircling the body. Full hallmarks to collar for renown William Sutton & Sons, and partial to lid for the Birmingham 1907. The claret jug measures 24 cm to the top of its lid and 26.5 cm to top of thumb-piece.
The claret jug is in excellent condition commensurate with age and use. Exceptionally minor signs of age and use to the silver. Very minor internal staining to bottom of body. Please see images as these form an important part of the description.
Established in Birmingham in 1800 by William Hutton, the firm moved to Sheffield in 1832. By 1857 the firm was trading as William Hutton & Son based at High Street, Sheffield (registered with the Sheffield assay office) – presumably in partnership with his son, William Carr Hutton. In addition to silverware the firm produced silver-plated items under licence using Elkington & Co’s recently developed electroplating process (c1837). After William’s death William Carr continued the business – joined by his son Herbert Hutton. William Carr died in 1865 and in c1870 Herbert was joined by his brothers James Edward and Robert, and the firm began trading as William Hutton & Sons. Success from production of electroplated ware resulted in expansion into new premises (West Street, Sheffield and Hanley Street, Birmingham) as well as moving into new showrooms at Farrington Road, London. In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell & Co (manufacturing silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year the firm was incorporated as a limited company – now William Hutton & Sons Ltd. They developed a new nickel alloy in the late 19th century that was ideal for plating purposes (called British Plate, identified on EP flatware by the "BP" mark). In 1902 the firm acquired Creswick & Co and began using their crossed-arrows mark on pewter ware. By the turn of the century William Hutton & Sons Ltd were renown for the quality of their Art Nouveau and Arts & Crafts silver and metal ware. They exhibited with success at the 1922 British Industries Fair – listed as “Manufacturers of Silver, Electro-plate, Cutlery, Stainless Steel, Britannia Metal, Pewter and Fancy Metal Goods”. The firm was acquired by James Dixon & Sons in 1930.
- William Hutton
- Height (cm):
Please note that this price may NOT include delivery charges which the seller may charge extra for.