This is a beautiful antique and rare English mahogany boxed set of twelvepairs of sterling silver fruit forks and knives, with hallmarks for London 1892and the makers mark of the renowned silversmith Edward Hutton.
They have the most exquisitemother of pearl handles.
Theinterior is finished in plush burgundy velvet.
This stunning set includes its original solid mahoganyvelvet lined box with blank shield shaped brass cartouche.
This is a fabulous set which will gracefully adorn any table.
This is the complete set and it is in really excellent condition.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 7 x Width 30 x Depth 14-Case
Dimensions in inches:
Height 3 inches x Width 1 foot x Depth 5 inches-Case
Our reference: 08642
Mother of pearl, is an organic-inorganiccomposite materialproduced by somemolluscsas an innershelllayer; it is also what makes up the outer coating ofpearls. It is strong, resilient, andiridescent.The outer layer of pearls and the inside layer ofpearl oysterandfreshwater pearl musselshells are made of nacre.
Both black and white nacre are and were used fordesignpurposes. They were used as decorative motif used in cabinet making or silversmithing. The natural nacre may be artificially tinted to almost any colour. Nacretesseraemay be cut into shapes andlaminatedto aceramictileormarblebase. The tesserae are hand-placed and closely sandwiched together, creating an irregular mosaic or pattern (such as a weave). The laminated material is typically about 2mm thick. The tesserae are thenlacqueredandpolishedcreating a durable and glossy surface.
The firm was established in Birmingham by William Hutton in 1800 and transferred in Sheffield in 1832 where the firm was active as manufacturing silversmiths and platers at 27 High Street (140-146 West Street from 1886).
After his death the business was continued under the same style by the founder's son William Carr Hutton until 1864, when the name was changed to William Hutton & Son. This was a partnership of William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843).
William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and c. 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (b. 1839) and Robert (b. 1840) and the name was changed to William Hutton & Sons.
A London showroom was opened in 1863 (13 Thavies Inn Holborn until 1891, and later 7 Farrington Road until 1918).
In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell & Co (manufacturer silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year became William Hutton & Sons Ltd.
The firm acquired Creswick & Co in 1902, beginning to use their crossed arrows marks.
The last Hutton family MD was Herbert Hutton Jr. before the company failed in 1930. That was due to lack of foresight by the Chairman of the Board of directors (information courtesy Michael Hutton).
The firm was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons in 1930.
Antiques.co.uk Ref: 43NPAR94D
- Width (cm):
- Height (cm):
- Depth (cm):
Please note that this price may NOT include delivery charges which the seller may charge extra for.