This is a wonderful antique brass and Jasperware mounted desk set, by James Howell, Regent Street, London, Circa 1860 in date.
The suite compromises comprising a stationary casket, an ink blotter, a balance scales and a circular inkwell, each applied with rope twist mounts and engravedanthemions, set with bluejasperwareroundels.
This is a highly decorative set which will make a statement once placed on any period desk.
In excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned and polished in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 15 x Width 19 x Depth 11-Stationary Box
Height 20 x Width 20 x Depth 20-Inkstand
Height 24 x Width 19 x Depth 2-for writing
Height 9 x Width 15 x Depth 11-weigth
Dimensions in inches:
Height 6 inches x Width 7 inches x Depth 4 inches-Stationary Box
Height 8 inches x Width 8 inches x Depth 8 inches-Inkstand
Height 9 inches x Width 7 inches x Depth 1 inch-for writing
Height 3 inches x Width 6 inches x Depth 4 inches-weigth
Our reference: 07645
or jasper ware, is a type ofstonewarefirst developed byJosiah Wedgwood, although some authorities have described it as a type ofporcelain. It is noted for its matte finish and is produced in a number of different colours, of which the best known is a pale blue that has become known as'Wedgwood Blue'."Jasper" in this context refers to the mineral of that name.
Wedgwood'smain designs are jasperware and black basalt.Many of the Wedgwood designs were based on the art of makingcameo glassand on the looks ofThe Portland Vase.
Howell James & Company -were a firm ofjewellersandsilversmiths, based inRegent StreetinLondon, which operated between 1819 and 1911.
The firm Howell and James was founded in 1819 by James Howell and Isaac James who were originallysilkmercersand retailjewellers. The company had premises at 5, 7 and 9 Regent Street and was noted for the variety and quality of its stock. In 1838 James left the business and the partnership then became known as Howell James & Co. By 1865 the firm employed over 140 women, most of whom lived above the shop.
The firm exhibited in London, at theGreat Exhibitionin 1851 and at the1862 International Exhibition, and inParisand theInternational Exposition of 1867. It sold items by students and designers of theSouth Kensington School.
At the London exhibitions of 1871 and 1872 the company exhibitedjewelleryby C.L. Eastlake, M. D. Wyatt, F. Leighton and L. F. Day. The company's 1878 Paris Exhibition stand was designed by Day. In 1889, company employee J.Llewellynmoved toLiberty & Cotaking with him exclusive selling rights.
In 1881 the premises were reconstructed and these incorporated art pottery galleries. An exhibition was staged, of architecturalfaience, produced to the designs of M. B. Adams by ofBurmantofts.
In 1884 the company became a limited company and their name changed to Howell & James Ltd.
- Width (cm):
- Height (cm):
- Depth (cm):
Please note that this price may NOT include delivery charges which the seller may charge extra for.